Re: Door Slammer Race Cars

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Slammer Race Cars
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:39:51 -0400
On Tuesday, August 2, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Dick J wrote:

> I know many of you have purpose-built racers, but I'm in the midst of
> converting my fourth door slammer into a race car.  This newer
> generation never ceases to amaze me.  Back in my high school days,
> when I built my first couple of cars, priority went to dual carbs,
> dual exhausts, maybe high compression heads and a cam.  Now days, the
> very first thing that gets done has to ba a sound "system".
>
> I bought this 1975 Pontiac Firebird and am in the process of stripping
> out the interior and removing the "system" so that I'll have room for
> a cage, racing seat and harness.  I have never seen so many cables.
> The amplifier, mounted in the trunk, had it's own cooling fan!  When I
> got everything from the "system" disconnected, the electric fuel pump
> stopped working.  A thorough tracing of the "system's" wiring revealed
> that a couple of "lesser circuits" were add-ons to the primary
> "system" harness.   The fuel pump, and the primary alternator wire,
> fell into these "lesser add-on" secondary harnesses.
>
> But man, that system could vibrate acorns off the big oak tree through
> it's eight speakers and 400 bazillion watt amplifier!
>
> Dick J

Speaking of those car audio systems --  I was wiring up the
12VDC/115VAC inverter in the back of my pickup last weekend and needed
some heavy-gauge cable to get the 30 amps from engine room to pickup
bed.  The guys at the local car audio shop had a scrap of what they use
for speaker wire -- they gave me about 15 feet of extra-flexible 4ga
wire single conductor.  Hey, 4 ga has a rating of 150 amps!  Hand me
those earplugs, Nancy!!

Ever notice that many of the "boom cars" have crappy distortion and
lots of rattles when the bass notes detonate?  Whatever happened to
quality, not quantity?

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan