Door Slammer Race Cars

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Door Slammer Race Cars
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
I know many of you have purpose-built racers, but I'm in the midst of
converting my fourth door slammer into a race car.  This newer generation never
ceases to amaze me.  Back in my high school days, when I built my first couple
of cars, priority went to dual carbs, dual exhausts, maybe high compression
heads and a cam.  Now days, the very first thing that gets done has to ba a
sound "system".

I bought this 1975 Pontiac Firebird and am in the process of stripping out the
interior and removing the "system" so that I'll have room for a cage, racing
seat and harness.  I have never seen so many cables.  The amplifier, mounted in
the trunk, had it's own cooling fan!  When I got everything from the "system"
disconnected, the electric fuel pump stopped working.  A thorough tracing of
the "system's" wiring revealed that a couple of "lesser circuits" were add-ons
to the primary "system" harness.   The fuel pump, and the primary alternator
wire, fell into these "lesser add-on" secondary harnesses.

But man, that system could vibrate acorns off the big oak tree through it's
eight speakers and 400 bazillion watt amplifier!

Dick J