Gas prices on I-80

To: list LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas prices on I-80
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:16:09 -0600
Some notes on I-80.

Having just made the jaunt between SLC to Lincoln, NE and back ... with
two weeks between ... along I-80, I found the highest gas prices (by 10
cents a gallon) at a station in Sidney, NE. that had a Kentucky Fried
Chicken attached.  (Remember I warned you.)

You can buy ice at McDonalds ... even at the drive-up window.

Flying J, Sinclair and Conoco were pretty good on pricing but you had
to eyeball the stations at whatever point you pulled off.  My
experience was, the cleaner stations were often lower priced than
"Brand X" stations.  I also ran on the top half of the gas tank so I
sometimes filled up more frequently than I absolutely had to.

The Little America in Cheyenne is undergoing some construction but you
can "pay at the pump" with far less hassle than trying to pay cash like
one unfortunate lady tried to do.  Their cheap ice cream cones are a
welcome break.  I made a rule for myself on the 5400 mile trip that I
would get out of the car and move around every two hours ... period!
More frequently as welcome rest stops had free state highway maps.  It
made the trip much more comfortable.

At a Chevron station in Tennessee I was almost hit by the owner in his
old Datsun sedan as he made a dash for the bank ... hate to profile
anyone but he had a caste mark on his forehead and wore a wrapped
headdress.  Crappy station as it turned out but I like Chevron gas and
use Chevron gas cards for the whole family.  I hadn't seen Chevron
stations for almost two days.

Wes