Bonneville

To: list LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:27:39 -0600
First of all ... the salt is STRANGE ... large spots where it is almost
powdery.  The trail from the end of the pavement grows wider each day
as the soft spots continue to spread.  I have not been on the course so
I have no comparison for you.

I heard comments like "I couldn't read the gages" or I've never had to
fight the wheel like that before on the salt.  Just driving around the
pits on Friday was an experience in itself.  A can of soda in a drink
holder ended up splashing out contents if it wasn't less than half
full.  I found myself trying to pick a course as I drove at 5 mph.  By
Monday, the heavily traveled areas were starting to smooth out a bit as
they packed down.  As has been reported, the course is much the same
way.  The cars without suspension don't have a chance.  Lots of spins,
turn outs, slower than possible speeds.  I planned to watch 3 cars ...
John Rains (turned off in the 2 and put his car on the trailer) ... Ed
Van Scoy (having distributor problems yesterday when I left the pits)
and Rick Yacoucci (VERY bumpy and potentially dangerous ride so he
trailered his car) for a reading.  Draw your own conclusions.

I did buy a book written by John Fitch and he autographed it for me.
At 88 he is showing his age but still has a delightful sense of humor.
The 300 SL he is driving is proving a difficult ride to hop up.  The
factory had found about all the power that engine could offer when it
was built in the 1950's.

The old Juris Minenbergs Corvette came of the course yesterday with a
serious tweak in the frame just in front of the firewall.  Ed was
marveling over the force that would have been necessary to bend it.
There were delays all day on the long course to pick up pieces.  The
inability to stay on the power was taking it's mechanical toll. The
cars in impound were mostly slower cars ... with suspensions.

I think we just need some more time for the salt to set up.  The canal
on the east of the flats where they collect the brine for the ponds on
the south of the freeway/railroad is full to within a foot of the
banks.  Last year I wouldn't have been able to stand at water level and
reach the top of the banks ... a seven foot or so difference.  We'll be
watching very carefully to see how it changes before World of Speed.

It was reported that Dennis Manning was working for a longer course and
waiting for the north end to dry up so they could drive on that area
and start dragging there.

Wes