10 inch tread or section width?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: 10 inch tread or section width?
From: David Dymaxion <david_dymaxion@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
Welcome to me, this is my first post to the list.

I excited to try to get into the 130 club. I'm going to run a 1994
Camaro Z28. I'm about to order new tires, and see there is a 10 inch
max width allowed. Is that tread width or section width? While I know
narrower tires are better for land speed, I want wider tires for
autocross. I'll be running stock 8 inch rims.

Second question, if it is safe to do so, I'd rather get Hoosier
"autocross" tires than Hoosier "road race" tires, for reasons of
wanting to do autocross. Would the "autocross" tires be OK for a
quick 130 club run up to  ~135 mph, or do I need to do road race
tires? I plan to call Hoosier about this, but appreciate any real
world experience.

Thanks for the info.