Re: Salt

To: Nt788@aol.com
Subject: Re: Salt
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:53:55 -0400
On Wednesday, August 24, 2005, at 01:00 PM, Nt788@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/20/2005 4:44:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> saltracer@awwwsome.com writes:
>
>> I have ever seen and the most uneven surface I have seen. I just hope
>> that we don't see this again!
>>
>> Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC
>>

> I would suggest a very slow heavy drag with small sharp teeth, like
> block
> sanding. To much speed is like trying to remove bumps using a lathe
> without a
> toolholder. Jack

As reported earlier, I drove one of the drag trucks.  6-10 mph was our
speed.  Not much difference in results over that speed range -- but the
5 miles of short course took 1 1/2 - 2 hours per 10-foot wide lap, and
therefore just one complete side-to-side pass was the project of 4-6
hours.  Add 3-4 hours for the long course -- and you'll understand the
frustration of those trying to make the course better.

I agree that some better cutting edges would've probably helped -- but
there're limits to what's available.  Howabout somebody donating one of
those pavement milling machines to grind up the top inch or two, and
while you're at it, lend us a nice GPS & laser-equipped grader to
smooth out the chewed-up surface, then a water truck to moisten
everything, then a roller to compact it all to +/-1/32"?  And a coupla
thousand gallons of diesel to power the whole shebang.

  Oh, yeah, better bring along a letter from Glenn, the BLM guy, saying
it's all right to do all that stuff to his salt!

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)