NSU comes back to the salt in 2006

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: NSU comes back to the salt in 2006
From: "Pork Pie" <pork.pie@t-online.de>
Date: 31 Aug 2005 21:17 GMT
Hi Folks,

Ellen means that I can take this directly to list, alright, here the request.

Heinz Herz is the son of Wilhelm Herz, he set the first bike record over 200
mph in 1956 with a NSU bike - Heinz like to bring a replica in 2006 to the
salt - he will run this bike, but he needs some support, therefore he will be
at the WOS this year at the salt.

Thanks in advance

Pork Pie

Hi Ellen,

got your mail from Heinz Herz.

I wrote him a e-mail, he called me and we talked for more than a hour.

Thank you that you brought me in.

Henz Herz and myself discussed a lot of things about his project, in this way
we found out that there is a lot to organize.

So I have to ask you for a big favor.

He will be at the salt for the World of Speed and he need a lot of contacts.

First of all he has to talk with the inspection stewards.

This bike is a full closed streamline body with a sit-on bike inside - it's
not a streamliner bike like Sam Wheeler.
It got no outrigger legs, so on the starting line two people has to hold the
bike and also at the end of the track, two people has to "pick him up", means
they had to hold the bike, otherswise he will fall over. There will be for
people in the crew, they will be trained before here in Germany.
We got not one bike in a so configuration at the salt - all the other sit-on
streamliner are open for the legs.

Heinz will bring 8 x 12 picture for the inspector, so they can see how the
frame, body, suspension is build, for a first check.

Heinz likes, if possible, to run in a class - so they had to find out in which
catagory he can ride the bike. Means also he needs a number and he need than a
club membership to run the bike - Speedweek - BNI - and for the Wos - USFRA.
He needs the information for the pre entree form and the cost.

What he has to check, is, that he can run the bike with the official gas at
the "salt gas station" - means he need a contact with this guys.

What he needs, too, is the information where he can get the right, certified,
driver suite and helmet - the new rule book is very confusing in this point.

Also, can you get him together with Jon & Joe Amo, Jon Noonan and Jon
Wennerberg - he need some support for his suspension configuration and some
other salt experience- this bike is good for 200 mph - so he needs some
smalltalks with this guys.

What he need especially is information for the salt save wirings of the
electric - the worst enemy at the salt.

Tire will be not a problem, he will get some Conti race tires, they are rated
for 250 mph.

May be our biker can manage a test ride with a smaller bike, that he get the
feeling what it means to run at the salt.

What I didn't talk with him, how he get the bike to the salt - if he send the
bike over in a trailer, or he needs a trailer - due to this that he use only a
container - to get them on the salt. If he got an idea which way the bike will
be shipped, may be there is someone at the salt who can transport the bike and
the equipment or can give a support in form of a closed trailer.

This was a little bit longer, but, yeah, so as I know you, you will manage
this as all the other your are doing in a great way.

Thank you very much in advance for all you support.

Best wishes

Thomas aka "Pork Pie"