Ready to race ?

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Ready to race ?
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:44:59 -0700
Dick, sounds like you picked up a valuable lesson.

I learned what it means to be ready to race in 1976 or 7 at the Watsonville
Fair Grounds Speedway, CA, a great 1/4 mile dirt track. Time trials were
ending when the points leader in the Modified class pulled up to the pit gates.
While his crew finished signing in, he climbed into his car and fired the motor.
The race director kept time trials open and allowed him 1 warm up lap
and one timed lap. Normally they ran one and one time trials.
He backed the car off the trailer, drove onto the track and set top time
for that evening. He later won the Trophy dash and finished second or
third in the Main.
Our (Howard Nafzger & I) goal was to have the car ready by Memorial
Day. If you ever worked in a residential garage during July or August
in Tucson, AZ, you would understand why. We actually achieved that
goal 3 out of 5 times.

It was too much fun,
Bryan