RE: cooling question

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: RE: cooling question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
"Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com> wrote:.. .. ..  and becomes
electrically charged. Poor quality coolant causes electrolysis ...

I recently took my 97 Dodge PU in for service (preparing for the trip to
Bonneville that I never got to make) and received an urgent call from the shop
about two hours after I dropped the truck off.  Seems the water seeping out
from the water pump area was not from a bad seal or gasket, but from a couple
of pin holes in the housing.  Upon removing parts, serious corrosion was found
on the inside of every aluminum piece that came off. They looked worse than
some of the outboard motors I worked on back when I was employed at a Florida
marina.  The mechanic felt that everything aluminum on the motor that touches
coolant was at risk of springing leaks at any moment.  He even suggested
changing all of the freeze plugs, including the ones behind the flywheel!

The risk of finding myself parked along side some deserted stretch of Utah
highway didn't appeal to me, and the cost of replacing everything he suggested
was prohibitive.  I was "forced" to buy a new Dodge truck with a "hemi" in it.
The final outcome was a happy one for me - - - - as long as I don't think of
the cost. No more Dollar Store coolant for me though. I always thought coolant
was coolant, but that just aint so.  The difference between cheap stuff and
good stuff is about the same as the difference from cheap oil to good oil.
I'll just buy the good stuff from now on!

Dick J
In East Texas