RE: Rocket propelled

To: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Rocket propelled
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:18:00 -0400
Gary

Firstly as a rocket fuel and powerful oxidant you may not be able to import
HTP, unless there are strict safeguards.

Secondly, Richard has a track record as a rocket development engineer (non
governmental) here in the UK and is co-author of papers on his practical
work with building and testing a range of HTP mono and bi propellant
rockets.  he is known to the chemical industry for his work.

Anyone working with HTP needs to be prepared to work with a chemical that
looks like water but will oxidise you as much as any other organic
substance.  Once the burning sensation starts you are just a moment away
from having a flaming section of skin.  Not nice!  The Team Maximum Impulse
safety crew were always close by with a lot of water whenever there was
transfer taking place or the motros were run.

The industrial makers of HTP include Degussa-Huls and we sourced ours in
the USA where we raced.  We had indemnity insurance in place to absolve the
makers from liability.

Home distillation of a lower concentration product could end with a big
bang, a disaster if you are in a built up area and possibly illegal for non
licenced practitioners.

A final thought is it is not a cheap product at 90+% concentration and you
do seem to use alot of it for testing and during an attempt!

Sorry if this sounds so negative, but there are other systems that can work
as well with less risk.

Good luck and please be safe.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England