Non-LSR...something wrong here???

To: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Non-LSR...something wrong here???
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Jack is right. This whole thread is even more useless than complaining
> about
> how the SCTA makes motorcycle rules.          RF

List,

I agree, Rich, that we aren't going to change anything by discussing this,
but it  is a good exercise in economics.

Lance makes a point that should be in everyone's mind when hearing
percentages relating to a companies profits..."profits of oil companies
expressed only in gross Dollars, but that is completely meaningless unless
one also states profits in terms of percent of sales, return on
investment, and other quantitative measures on a year-to-year basis that
can be compared to other investments."

I have no idea how many on this network are, or have been in business.
Those that have that experience take a different view of these reports.
Oil companies, and for that matter drug companies, have a very high
capital investment in research and development. The same thing applies to
electronics. Sometimes high profits are just recovering development
investments. Rwemember when a decent calculator coast $100+ ? Now-a-days,
better ones are given away as incentives to buy a $25 item.

Ron also makes a point that should be kept in mind..."As for that greedy
75% increase in profits, if I lost $1.00 last year and this year had a
whooping 100% increase this year, I would only break even. As long as
their profits are only 9 or 10 percent, that is completely reasonable.
Some companys wouldn't stay in business with that margin of profit."

There is a prayer that applies here, "God, grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and
the wisdom to know the difference."
Reinhold Niebuhr

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC