Re: Degreaser/Cleaner

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>, Elon <saltfever@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Degreaser/Cleaner
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:30:30 +0000
Depends on the purpose(whether you want a residue free part or a part that
won't rust once you spray it), but I agree that carb cleaner, break-free
(which I got very used to in the military) and a dozen other products are
great for certain(and inteneded) purposes. What I use at the shop and at the
track is a cleaner that cleans excellent, leaves no residue and most
importantly doesn't hurt paint or rubber products it comes in contact with
(can be sprayed liberally just about anywhere without damage), so can be used
just about anywhere. It's called Parts Depot Brake and Parts Cleaner and
comes in a black and yellow can. I've used this stuff for about 6 years now
and buy three to 4 cases a month, but it's lately been very difficult to get
as it seems it's being replaced by an identically named product in a black
and green can which may(like most brake cleaners) damage paint and rubber
products it comes in contact with(if not used very carefully). The suppliers
(Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts stores) seem to think they are the same product
and one is being replaced by the other, I gaurentee you they are not the same
(and I can't seem to contact the manufacturer which is listed as Parts
Depot). If anyone happens to find this black and yellow version I'd be
interested in buying a large number of cases of it. The black and green
version is fine if it's not going on rubber and if it gets on paint you don't
wipe it until it's dried. The not damaging or dulling paint and or rubber is
very important when working on bikes(IE: in comparisson to working on the
brake area on a car). I'll can get the info off the can about it being with
or without flouro-carbons, hydro-somethings, CFC's, blah, blah, etc to see
what the differences are or if anyone might know a good replacement for the
black and yellow I can use? CRC is identical in most aspects, but I haven't
founbd any that doesn't have the ability to dull paint, etc.
Todd