RE: Degreaser

To: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Degreaser
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:12:52 -0600
Elon;

I usually use three types of degreasers;

1. For the big, really cruddy parts I use kerosene and a stiff brush--
kerosene is available from some gas stations.
2. Final cleaning is usually with lacquer thinner. I buy these 1 gal
metal cans from a discount paint store.
3. For a somewhat "hotter" solvent, I use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone); I
also buy these 1 gal metal cans from a discount paint store.

If you can ever find it, Stoddard Solvent is superb; it has a very high
Kaury Butynol value (great degreasing power). Another final cleaning
solvent is toluene. Perchloroethylene is great but hard to find.

As with any solvents, they should be used with caution-- many are
flammable and others are not that great for skin exposure.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ