SBC water pump and fuel hose

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: SBC water pump and fuel hose
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:35:15 -0800
Hi all,
I bought an inexpensive fan belt tension guage (the Clickit is the
name--seemed pretty repeatable, +/-5 or 10 #, absolute accuracy unknown,
although seems in the proper ballpark for the amount of pull I put on the
alternator).  I realized how loose my '63 'vette fan belt was and tightened it
up to something in the spec range (seemed pretty tight, but not
crazy-tight-twanging-middle-C-tight).  And the next time I ran it, the water
pump gave out.  So-o-o, d'ya think the pump was just old and cheap (it was
both, but not many miles on it), and are there some pumps out there that have
better bearings on 'em or something?  Or are most all of 'em the same in this
department?  Hate to buy the $100 version at the vintage 'vette shop vs. $23
at Autozone if there's no difference.  What are your thoughts?

Secondly, I seem to have leaks in one of the three fuel hose assemblies I put
together (Summit ss braided over rubber core with Summit fittings).  The fuel
is leaking out of the nut portion of the fittings, not the hose connection
area, so I'm surmising that the flare portion of the fitting just isn't
seating well on the male AN fittings.  How tight can these fittings (-06 size
aluminum) be torqued?  The fittings' sealing surfaces look great--maybe out of
round or something?  I'm mystified.
Benn