Big displacement cars on the salt

To: list LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Big displacement cars on the salt
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:11:15 -0700
When Teddy Tetzlaff ran on the salt in 1914 in the "Blitzen Benz" he
was part of a traveling automotive "circus".
He was stop watch timed at 147 plus mph for the flying mile.  Almost
the same time the car had turned at Ormond
Beach, Florida (now Daytona) in 1908.  Think of that today with a chain
drive!

Another car in that group was a Fiat that had a HUGE 4 cylinder motor.
I've been trying to find a reference that
tells what the displacement was and as yet have not found it.   I think
I remember it was over 1200 cubic inches.
Apparently that was not uncommon.  Check the displacement on some of
the cars that raced across Europe in
the early days.

Wes