Re: Big Displacment Cars on the Salt

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Big Displacment Cars on the Salt
From: jthorn65@sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:41:40 -0600
On 8 Nov 2005 at 22:05, Pile,Chris wrote:

>     List -
>
>     Per Wester Potter's reference to a Fiat with a HUGE motor - perhaps you
> meant the 5 foot tall behemoth known as "Mephistoles" and also as "Beast of
> Turin".
>
>     The 4 cylinder displaced 28.353 liters, which comes out to around 1,730
> cubic inches - a very healthy size. How many among us would like to leadfoot
> that kind of power?
>
>     - Chris Pile aka aircap

The reference I have to that vehicle is that it was a Fiat S.76 300 HP Record
car. It had a displacement of
28,338cc with a bore and stroke of 190 x 250mm.
Not a huge displacement discrepency, only 15cc, but I wonder if we are
referring to different vehicles or if
one of our source materials is incorrect?
It was a larger motor than the Benz which was "only" 21,500cc. I recall in made
"only" 290 HP in spite of it's
300 HP moniker.

John Thornton