El Mirage

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage
From: Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:08:20 -0600
What a Journey!!!!!!!!!

A special thanks to all the SCTA volunteers who make this all possible!!!

August '99 caught salt fever t Speed Week---planned on running a PU---met Skip
through the List---who  invited me down to see his car---fell in Love with
Rose--

2000--Drove 217 miles one way from Dallas to Skips house in Bastrop, Tx to be a
engine partner and crew member on Skips AA/GS..
2001---was engine partner and Driver in Skips car as AA/GL--two open
---records---missed the hat by 2.6 mph to a min...--I call it my "PINK HAT"

2002---no action

2003 ---bought a small Lakester that had been run at Maxton with a 4
cyl---brought it home and completely cut it up so that I could try to fit a BBC
in it--added 40" to WB

2004 Moved to Phoenix and had a shop put in the back yard and did lots of
things around the new house and resumed some work on the car

2005 three steps forward on two back most of the year as I tried to finish and
get things going ---

July 2005---took my car to El Dusto for a pleminary inspection---came away with
12-15 things that needed to be done---brought the car home and stripped it down
to the bare frame--and started grinding out some of the welds that were
mentioned--- and methodically started down the list most which were of saftey
concerns---

Nov 2005---if the meet had not been postponed for a week I would not have been
able to go----

11-18-05  got on the road at 4:30 am---inspection at 1:30---Jim Miller walked
by several times glancing at the car---then he came up and said  with a smile
"It looks like you have been pretty busy since last time" I replied that I had
been very busy in the last 3.5 months...The car was checked over and he wanted
us to change the main belts bracket mountin angle---Dale Pulju a "lister from
Pahrump helped me in bailout and with the modifications... many thanks
Dale---Then off to rookie Meeting that  finished at darkthirty----

Sat Morning  21 degs at 7:00 am   Ed and Linda Van Scoy
 sort of took me under their wing---off to drivers meeting---then back with
Dale helping to put all of the skin back on---
Then Glenn Ridlin and his son Mark and Jim Price of Saltiene News showed
up---we mounted one of my loading board to Jims pu so whe could push off
Ratical whis his 24" high push bar--then of to make my first run 125-150---went
through at 132---more to follow--

again thanks to all who make it possible---

  "Sparky"
Lakester 2211