Mechanix Gloves / Firestorm Spark Plugs

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mechanix Gloves / Firestorm Spark Plugs
From: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 23:37:10 -0600
    List & participants -

    As to Mechanix Gloves - after watching umpteen pro Top Fuel crews
rebuilding hot motors on NHRA races for years, I finally bought a pair of
Mechanix gloves (with the velcro wrist straps).
    The Lycra Spandex backside allows exceptional flexibility and fit compared
to real gloves (I can open a pop-top with them on - try that with regular
gloves). I used them for years as a tool & die maker, preferring them over the
multitude of free gloves provided by Raytheon Aircraft. They resist abrasion,
heat, and fluids exceptionally well. Toss them in the washer if they get
dirty, and the dryer won't shrink them like horse, pig, or goat hide gloves.
    Once the first pair wore out after 4 years of hard work, I bought three
pairs (without the straps) - one for the machine shop, one for yard work, and
one for driving gloves in the winter. My fingers love them!
    So spend $12 for a pair already.

    As to Firestorm Plugs - junk science raises its' ugly head once again
(anyone remember the Fish Carburetor?). I think the claims of improving
air/fuel ratios is pure hokum, as well as eliminating the need for ERG's and
catalytic converters (which have more to do with chemistry anyway).
    Further - nearly every mechanic and gearhead I've spoken to at length
about plugs agreed that Splitfire Plugs were a waste of money. A spark
emanates from a sharp edged electrode much easier than a rounded one, or
multiply-forked ones.
    The plain old plugs in my 2.3 liter Ranger motor lasted 200,000 miles
thanks to EFI and modern ignitions, and I only changed them because I didn't
want to return the new ones. The old ones looked great, slightly brownish in
color with hardly any wear. The gaps still gauged at spec, too.
    Consign this plug concept to the trash heap of engineering history.

    Chris Pile aka aircap