Dunlop Land Speed Car

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dunlop Land Speed Car
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:26:37 -0500
List

This car held the outright South African land speed record until October
this year.  It still holds wheeldriven records in that country - set under
their MSA rules of two ways within 1 hour through the same mile trap.

The World Record is as stated in the particulars, a claim for speed on road
tyres.  Although in the publicity they (Dunlop SA) ignored the speeds set
by the roadgoing McLaren F1 road car that ran just a tad slower, not the 45
mph as claimed.

Car was built in the US and taken to SA for the record bid - on a roadway
not an airfield.

Interesting that it had problems getting back into the USA.

In addition to the Dunlop SA website there is the www.speedrecordsa.co.za
site run by Ray Wakefield who would help any drivers & teams wishing to run
fast on tarmac or their dirt.

A report I heard was that the car was near maxxed out on the SA bid - may
have been improved since it got back.  LSR tires would no doubt help.

Will not however be getting into my stocking for December 25th!

Malcolm