RE: Them Dzus Fasteners...

To: "drmayf" <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "LSR" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Them Dzus Fasteners...
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:36:05 -0600
Mayf;

I've always hated Dzus fasteners. Years ago I worked at NRAO in Green
Bank, WV and we used Dzus fasteners to secure the flat panel access
doors on our receivers. Each panel had about 20 fasteners around the
edges and invariably some bozo would over-tighten them and this would
cause the pin to flare out where it contacted the spring. Once that
happened the pin diameter was too large to fit through the hole-- the
thing wouldn't release. It was lots of fun hanging up in the air on a
radio telescope in the cold and dead of night trying to get those panels
off.

I think the problems could have been avoided by making the pin holes
larger in diameter but not over- tightening them in the first place
would have been the key to success.

Anyway, I've always avoided them since those days. Southco makes some
nice fasteners that don't get hung up in a panel.

Regards, Neil    older & wiser in some ways-- Tucson, AZ