Re: Fuel / Air Flow

To: Benn <karhu@california.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel / Air Flow
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:41:25 -0800
I gotta get my calculator batteries replaced, my answers are relly
different...so I must be dooing something wrong....here is what I did...

231 cu in /gallon divided by 1728 cu in / cu ft   = 0.1336 cu ft / min
assuming a gallon per minute. So if I divide that by 60 seconds per
minute to get 0.0022 ft^3/second. Then I set that equal to vent area
opening and column of air length.  so at 0.1 inches in diameter the vent
cross sectional area is 0.0001 ft^2. so the column of air is 40.34 ft
tall. that must all enter through the vent in 1 minute so the speed is
about 40 ft per minute. Or abotu 0.6732 ft /sec. That is about 0.986 mph....

I havent done much math lately so this is probably really farkled. Since
the flow is so small, I did not account for reynols number effects,
compressibility effects or ...If the pressure diferential got up a bit
then the flow could be supersonic and that limits the amount of mass
that can flow theough the vent.

In any case, I just made mine -6 AN and said to hell with it...

mayf