Re: Nascar Toyota

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: Nascar Toyota
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:14:55 EST
Thanks, Larry !  I knew very well in the 50s that  Nascar was racing ragtops
both at the Beach course that preceded the  Daytona oval, and at some other
oval tracks.
     Your take on Nascar is correct, just very  mild compared to mine .....
IT IS STRICTLY A BUSINESS ...... Cars almost  identical except for color,
number, and sponsor.
       I won't go into a rant here ...... I  just recommend that anyone with
more than a passing interest in stock car racing  read Smokey Yunick's
Absolutely Wonderful Book on oval racing and Nascar and  its' roots :
      " BEST DAMN GARAGE IN  TOWN  ~  My Life & Adventures "
I consider this the BEST DAMN BOOK ON OVAL TRACK RACING that I've ever
owned,out of many, and Smokey's take on Nascar is strictly TELL IT LIKE IT IS,
which he surely does !!!!
   This is one helluva book( All 652 pages of it ! ) by  one helluva mechanic
and inventor, and one very adventurous and accomplished man  .
    Stock car racing today is so far from what it was  in its' early years
back then .......
    The only positives I see are in the areas of  masterful car construction,
the big improvement in safety, and the great  engineering in those very
expensive engines that
endure all those many hard laps at high speeds ......
    I do watch a modern day race once in awhile, but  the memories of being
around the
short track modifieds in five different decades of fantastic  racing, and the
characters that
were so much a part of it ...... well, as I said before : Only Change Is
Certain.
  Stuck in the Past Bruce  ~  but if You Were  There, too, then you KNOW what
I mean .