RE: Fastest Injun??

To: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>, <Nt788@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Fastest Injun??
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:20:03 -0800
Bert Munro "blew the engine, failing in the record attempt" ? I thought the
movie trailers/ads said his record still stands--are they fudging things?

Lance

 In 1962, Burt Munro ran a 822 cc (55 cu in)Indian V-Twin in SA 883 class.
The class had an open record. My recollection is that he blew his engine. I
know he failed on the record attempt. (In those days you qualified and then
had to make it down and back the next morning for record.)
 He did set the record later in the meet, however at 178.971 MPH. But, this
is not the record he now holds.

 In 1966 he ran in the S-A-1000 class. This was an open record also. He had
increased the engine to 922 cc. He set the record at 168.066 MPH. In 1967,
he raised the record to 183.586 MPH. This record still stands. the last year
he ran was 1970 or '71. As I remember, he ran 190 MPH one way for his best
speed.

A NOTE ABOUT MOTORCYCLE CLASSES. Up until the mid-70s, bikes running at
Bonneville ran under AMA rules and supervision. (FYI, SCTA did not inspect
the bikes as the movie indicates, Earl Flanders of AMA had complete control
of the bikes.

BTW, a bit of trivia that may be of interest...The SCTA/BNI Rule Book had
only 30 pages in 1973!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC