Re: Fastest Injun??

To: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, <Nt788@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Fastest Injun??
From: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:59:22 -0500
Tom;

Your nine mile experience with the difference between sound, visual, and
electronic communication was interesting.
At the practice sessions for the 1994 Indy 500 I was watching Emmo Fitabaldi
turning hot laps in one of the Penske pushrod V8s.
He was the only car on the track and I was almost alone in the front
grandstand at the start/finish line. Beautiful sound when he went by me and
went into the 1st turn and could hear him going part way down the back
straight. Then there was complete silence as I could see him come out of the
3rd turn, thru the 4th turn, and actually come half way down the main
straight before I could hear anything.
Took until the 2nd lap before I realized I was experiencing the
acoustic/visual effects of a car traveling at one-third the speed of sound.
Never would have noticed the effect if there was a noisy crowd around me
and/or other cars running.

Bert Munro "blew the engine, failing in the record attempt" ? I thought the
movie trailers/ads said his record still stands--are they fudging things?

Lance