RE: Lathe buying

To: <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lathe buying
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:14:57 -0500
It all depends on what you plan to use it for to start with. If it comes
from China and possibly Korea you don't want it even for free. I just sold a
near new Enco 12X 36 for a pretty good price that was excess to me ,lathe
#3, but it was made in Taiwan in the 80's. What happens a lot is the feed
screws and gears are not up to the task that the size of the machine might
infer. There are casting issues as well am many folks have bought them
knowing they were to take them apart clean the sand out and reassemble with
some TLC. Not a lot different than getting a good used piece of American
Iron. What is the best indicator of the rigidity and strength of the machine
is weight. Heavy is good. So if something is 2k more dollars and is 2000 lbs
more iron a good deal. anything in the size you are looking at under 2000
lbs might be flimsy.
You might also make it a requirement that it be a tool room model with a
clutch and brake so you can stop the spindle and keep the motor running.
Dave