Electronic Torque Wrench (TW)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electronic Torque Wrench (TW)
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:11:27 -0800
The greatest feature about this tool is its read-out versatility. You can
run the wire anywhere and put the meter in any position you need. That is
the problem with the "beam" type TW. Many times you are so out-of-position
you can't read it accurately. With the "click" type TW many times you can't
get the long arm into position.  Todd, Snap-on has been making torque
"multipliers" for years. They are pricy, and there is usually a small
"reaction arm" but the combination of the arm and the sensor will still be
more versatile than a conventional TW.  If this link doesn't get you there
then go to Snap-on's home page and drill down from there.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=hand
<http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=hand&Group_ID=976&store=snapo
n-store> &Group_ID=976&store=snapon-store

Since this is a new tool I'm sure copies will start appearing soon. The
Sears accuracy is +/- 3%, which is good. However, since we are usually
working in hot places I would be concerned about thermal compensation. I'm
not an electronic-er and maybe others can speak to the issue of thermal
comp. I would really like to see the female torque end (not the male 1/2"
drive socket end) have a hex as well as a female socket. Kind of like a
spark plug socket. That way you could use either an open-end wrench to apply
torque or a ratchet. Using an ratcheting, open-end wrench, give this tool
phenomenal versatility! This is a great idea and long overdue. Compare the
Craftsman on-line price of $119 to Snap-on's electronic, "beam-type" TW at
$2,000-$3,000.  -Elon