Racing with the DLRA

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing with the DLRA
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:46:32 -0600
Okay Glen... you asked for it...

First off going doesn't seem to be a problem time wise... but coming back
kicks your butt...  maybe it's one to many nights hanging out late shooting
the bull with a ton of folks that are just like us, only separated by an
uncommon language.

The Salt has the potential to be something special... thou it's hampered by
the same issues we have at Bonneville.... Weather, course prep, and ultimately
the skill of the dedicated volunteers making it happen.  It's going to be hard
for any North American team to catch it just right... BUT when it happens the
fact is that it's going to be the Best surface you'll ever race on.

My opinion is that certain cars are going to have an advantage on this surface
based on the size of the car and how the engine is aspirated.... Any car with
forced induction is most likely going to do better at Bonneville based on the
Altitude and any Normally aspirated car is going to do better down under at
virtually sea level, so long as it's not the size of Chicago.   The air is
dense there... which makes it great for engines but bad for aero packages.  As
for traction coefficients....  Lake Gairdner might have a serious leg up on a
good year.... the salt down there has some serious traction when it's dry... (
we tore up Noonan's tire just trying to get it started in 3rd gear )

The People simply can't be beat...  If you think about how we treat someone
who speaks with a British accent over here.. they all treat us exactly the
same... extremely friendly and more then willing to pitch in a hand to make
whatever your doing work...  I will warn you thou... they seem to be stocked
with an over supply of some serious beer and have the need to deplete the
stocks on a regular basis so as to keep it fresh....

Accommodations are right at interesting... and vary from a semi nice Bed and
Breakfast Inn...( not fancy but nice and clean ) to a shipping container with
8 bunks and foam mattresses, ( you furnish the sleeping bag )  Or ultimately
you can sleep in a tent if your game to hang out with ants the size of puppy
dogs....

What do you want to know?

Keith