What it costs to do Australia

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: What it costs to do Australia
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:05:45 -0600
Gary Hensley should have something to add to this... but I'm guessing the
total bill for the trip down there was around $3000 dollars total... I haven't
added it up to the penny but here's the essential break down of costs...

1,750 bought the plane tickets and half a rental car. ( the right half
sucked... no steering wheel or brake pedal )

Fuel is around $3.50 a gallon... or 1.21 a liter in Aussie dollars.... the US
dollar buys 1.30 Aussie dollars...  We bought a couple of hundred dollars
worth...

Rooms varied from 150 a night at a nice place in Adelaide to 10 bucks a night
for a cot in the shipping container... splitting it helped...

Food everywhere was outstanding... never an issue.  not particularly
expensive... 10 bucks for a killer dinner at the salt and 5 bucks for lunch...
which was really fair for the quantity and quality of the meals...

Planning while important to some... really wasn't overly necessary.. we kind
of winged the whole thing... and the best part was that Gary was a great
traveling companion... no worries or issues... we both just kind of worked out
what it was going to take to get it done...   I'm going to have to do an
e-mail of it's own on driving down there....

Keith