SCTA

To: Askotto@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net (land-speed list)
Subject: SCTA
From: rickbyrnes@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:49:58 +0000
Otto

You gotta slow down a little.

SCTA is not an Ogre.
I have been around Bonneville since 1986 and havent seen a "Golden Boy" yet.
You need to remember that this community is made up of people that have been
building and racing in this venue for a very long time. 30-40-some even 50
years.  As a new guy I showed up in 91 with a new car (Merkur with a Pinto
motor) claiming that I would go 200 MPH.  There were some stares, smiles, and
I'm sure a few laughs that I did not hear.  We did good that year, made a
record and lost it, went a fastest of 186 and thrashed a lot.  I came home
having made some friends (mostly So Cal guys), that have been lasting
relationships.  (and there was some behind the scene help that I wasn't even
aware of)
Every year since it has been better and better.
In 98 when I finally gained entry into the 200 MPH club (with the same car) I
was amazed at how many guys were so happy for me and truly let it be known.

It takes time to earn the respect of your peers.
You need to let people like you.  These computers don't help cause they refuse
to show happiness and humor, but face to face the LSR community is one of the
nicest groups I have ever known.

BUT I still don't agree with all the rules, procedures, and politics of SCTA.
As a foreigner though, (Michigan) I can't do much to change these things so I
don't piss and moan much about them.

Give us all a chance.

OH, and Dave D isn't an Ogre either.  Just very straight forward and a little
abrupt, just like many other east coast folks.  Again, while I don't always
agree with him, he is very much worth listening to and to do
otherwise is a mistake.
There are many people on both coasts and in between that have good knowledge,
skills and education, AND they are willing to share.  We just need to ask.
Sorry this sounds a little like preaching, but then you did ask for input.
If you care to continue with the conversation, please feel free to PM.

Good Luck with your racing efforts and I'll see you at Speed Week.

Rick Byrnes