Ogres and golden boys

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ogres and golden boys
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:40:21 -0400
Okay, howzabout if we do something like this:

Write a brief note about your favorite "golden boy & ogre" story --
leaving names out (to protect the innocent).  Maybe list it here, maybe
start a thread for all of 'em on the landracing.com forum.  When
someone wants to learn about this silly-ass obsession we've got (land
speed racing) he can look at some of the stories.  Hell, I wouldn't
have believed some of the stuff that's happened to me since I started
-- if you had told me at the beginning that such would happen.  It just
couldn't be. . .

Like when I was in impound for the very first time - and needed a
longer chain for the bike so I could re-gear.  The guy pitted next to
me had one that was just the right length, and lent it to me (okay,
told me to take it and not worry about paying for it).  I put it on the
bike and next morning backed up my record.

The guy that gave me the chain -- was the guy whose record I was in the
process of breaking.

Oh, and it was a two-person record.  So there I sat on the return road,
waiting for Cris and Ed Shearer to show up, and I saw this car zooming
down the return road towards me (Note:  Glen, he was going less than 55
-- I think).  As it got closer the car slowed, the window opened, and I
was greeted by another guy with a huge smile and an outstretched arm:
"Hey, Jon, congratulations, shake your hand!  You broke the record I
set with (so-and-so)!"

I don't have any "ogre" stories handy, but I suppose someone will. . .

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)