IN THE NEWS : LA Drivers Hassling Slowpoke Hybrids Out For

To: BWANA343@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: IN THE NEWS : LA Drivers Hassling Slowpoke Hybrids Out For
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:12:02 EDT
Hybrids  make HOV motorists mad

LOS ANGELES - Solo drivers of  fuel-efficient hybrids in
California may be regretting their  right to drive in car-
pool lanes because of "Prius backlash"  from carpoolers.
The hybrid drivers are being accused by  carpoolers of
going too slow to maximize fuel efficiency,  thereby
clogging their diamond lanes, reports The Los  Angeles
Times. "There's a mentality out there that we're a  bunch
of liberal hippies or we're trying to make some  statement
on the environment," Travis Ruff, a real estate agent  who
drives a Toyota Prius, told the newspaper. "People are  a
lot less friendly than when I drove a Mercedes."  The
state, which has issued carpool-lane stickers to  about
50,000 hybrid cars, now plans to study the impact,  says
the report. A similar debate over carpool-lane  congestion
also is taking place in Virginia, where hybrid  drivers
using the lanes in peak hours must have three or  more
people in their vehicles.