Basic maintenence 101

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Basic maintenence 101
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:39:49 -0500
I love fixing things...  No doubt about it...  it makes me feel good to take
something that doesn't work and fix it...  it's that pure and that simple...

In the past I've been really guilty of simply replacing stuff because I was to
dang lazy to fix it ...  but my trip to Australia taught me a few things...
and even the Movie the Worlds fastest Indian reminded me that Fix'n stuff
makes me smile...  Throwing something out rather then working on it to make it
right is just so easy in our world...

Couple of examples this week are classic of what I'm talking about....

First off some idiot ran over the pressure washer wand because it wasn't put
away correctly... ( don't blame me... just because it's in my back yard and
I'm the only one that drives down there and uses it... that  ain't the point )
There was a 1/2" crack in a tube... so I tried to silver solder it... which
busted instantly.... so next I tried to braze it... which cause a significant
hole in the back side of the tube... Hmmm.... so next I took a bit of tubing I
had that was almost right and got out the o-ring kit and sorted out which one
would tighten up in this thing and whalla.... it's perfect again.... ( least
until that idiot comes back and runs over it )

Best fix of the week....  The spindle brake on the Bridgeport wasn't
braking... which made it hard to tighten up a bit in the spindle....   This
morning I took it apart, learned how it works... sorted out how to make a
bushing to space out the shoes.... re-assembled it and again it works
perfectly....

Simple stuff ... but what a shear pleasure to play with stuff and fix it
rather then pitch it ....

Y'all fixed anything lately that made your life right?

Keith