A thought on long steering shaft stops, Lakesters and Liners.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: A thought on long steering shaft stops, Lakesters and Liners.
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 01:11:16 EDT
In addition to the two steering shaft stops I already have in my  Lakester, I
am considering a new design for a third stop, "just to be  sure".

Conventional stops rely on the strength of the design and welds/metal  yield,
to protect you. These can fail like anything else.

What if the stop was attached mid way between the steering shaft bearing
pillow blocks and welded to a tube going rear word to the frame at a 45 degree
angle, terminating at the "crotch" of the pillow block cross member and frame
rail joint. The attachment point at the frame is not solidly welded but
remains  articulated. It could be a heim joint and bolt through two metal
gusset
plates. Something strong that would allow the 45 degree tube to pivot on
impact.

If on impact my other two stops fail, which is high unlikely, verging  on
unbelievable, the third stop will bend the steering shaft sideways, jamming  it
against the other frame rail. The weak bent steering shaft will  continue to
collapse, if necessary...

The way I see it, it's a lot easier to bend the steering shaft than hold it
back with brute force.

Any thoughts?

Otto

P.S. I didn't find this design in the Archives so I hope I don't piss
anybody off again for asking the same question twice. Some of you guys really
need
to chill out. Life's too short, especially at our age!  LOL