Re: Sir Malcome,non LSR digressing rapidly

To: Want1937hd@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sir Malcome,non LSR digressing rapidly
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:53:47 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/2006 3:19:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Want1937hd@aol.com writes:

message  dated 6/7/06 11:28:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SCowle@mentorcollege.edu  writes:
I was watching the history channel last night and it seems that the  Allies
used a device ,invented by Sir Malcome for his landspeed runs on  the
beaches, to
test the Normandy beaches for the ability to hold up the  weight of the tanks
for the D-Day invasions. I thought this was kinda  cool-using home made
racing
technology to make decisions about the largest  amphibious invasion in
history.

Scott
The thing that really amazes  me is the floating tanks that they somehow got
to work. Sadly many didn't  make it to the beach. Brave guys that we all owe
so
much to. Bob in  Connecticut

Armored Personnel Carriers also floated..I drove them..( 40 years ago) 13
tons, all cast real soft Aluminum, built, ironically enough, by American Can
Co.
 Fully loaded w/ crew of 13  stayed afloat with about a foot of  freeboard.
I still get a chill remembering driving the thing into  a lake in training
exercises.
It was powered by a 360 Mopar and Allison auto trans, governed real low.
We'd aerate the governor line and punch out the muffler and increase the output

tremendously. We had match races with some of the newer Diesel engined tracks,
 usually got hole-jobbed but caught them after 100 yds. Had to stand on the
gas  and drop it into drive to get two road wheels off the ground,Yee-Ha!!
Bob ,always a Hot Rodder, W