Re: New Cage Rules?

To: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Subject: Re: New Cage Rules?
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:37:18 -0700
Jim, Much like Joe, I've been there, done that and didn't even get a tee
shirt. I blew the Healey over at El Mirage at about 185mph. 3 and 1/2
flips and 4 hard hits. My helmet hit the roll cage hard on the first
bounce and the cheek pads inside my helmet knocked the lenses out of my
glasses and they bounced around my cheeks and made my face look even
uglier than normal. I now use much smaller glasses inside the helmet.
Now I didn't have a sore spot on my body other than my face. The seat
held me in place so I did not move. BUT and a very big BUT--- I never
lost conciseness. I was holding on very tight and my feet  were on the
firewall pushing me back into the seat. Also every orifice in my body
was shut very tight so that part about  messin your pants is not true.
Now if I had been knocked unconscious I would not have been so lucky.
Think RAG DOLL. That is how people get their feet and ankles hurt from
the peddles. It is how people get break their wrists and arms also. You
would be amazed at how far the body will stretch in the seat if you are
unconscious. Sorry if I'm sounding preachy but you can make a car so
much safer with just a little extra time in planing ahead just in case
you get knocked out.
Doug Odom in big ditch