Canopy mounted head restraints.

To: Saltrat@lubricationdynamics.com
Subject: Canopy mounted head restraints.
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:02:23 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2006 12:18:32 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Saltrat@lubricationdynamics.com writes:

Doug's  canopy idea is a good idea....I may do it this year.
Got to be careful of  chassis vibration getting to the driver's helmet  tho.
Skip

I'm thinking of expanding on Doug's canopy head restraint idea. I'm
concerned with the strength of the canopy holding back the G force of ones
head/helmet. And if you loose the canopy during the crash, there goes your head

restraint... Way to go Doug! LOL

What if a hinged head restraint was mounted on the roll cage instead  of the
canopy with a "trigger release" piece that would be held in place by the
canopy.

When the canopy is popped it would "ottomatically" release the head
restraint out of the way. It could even have a spring that wips it out of the
way and
holds it there.

The draw back being if the canopy comes off during the crash it would
release the head restraint. Way to go Otto! LOL

OK, how about  hinge the head restraint on the cage with a spring  loaded
trigger device. The release would be activated with the seat  belt release,
similar to arm restraints. When you hit the seat belt release, the  strap pulls
out
and releases the head restraint.

With this setup, all LSR cars could use it as it doesn't require a  canopy.

I already have padded side helmet supports within an inch of the helmet. I
have the side whip lash covered but was considering a Hans Device to keep my
head on.

I'm doing it!

Thanks to Doug for triggering the great idea!

Can we call it the "Dougotto Device"? Say it fast, it has a nice ring.  LOL

Otto