non-lsr Formula SAE part 3 (end)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: non-lsr Formula SAE part 3 (end)
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:18:32 -0700
By Friday most of the tech work and re-techs (few cars pass on the first
go-round) were done, and I could go out to the dynamic events, including brake
testing, skidpad, autocross, and endurance events.  The Saturday endurance
event is the climax of the meet, with multiple cars on the track at one time,
and each car required to run 20 laps around a 1.1 kilometer course.  Each of
two drivers do 10 laps for each team.   The level of excitement and adrenaline
for the drivers and teams is crazy-high at this point.   I worked tech during
driver change and at the black-flag station.  I had to tell one team that they
were out of the running due to a wheel problem.  The teams are not allowed to
do any work on the cars during this event, so any safety problem is an
immediate DNF.   Do you think they were "disappointed"?  Hell, I almost
started crying.   Those cars finishing are then sent to the fuel check station
for a mileage check.  The level of "high" is palpable for those teams who
finish, and especially for those who did well.  (Some drivers clearly have
auto-x or similar race driving experience, while others obviously never slid a
tire in their lives--and still haven't.)  After this all the points for
various aspects and events are totalled and the winners announced.  Texas A&M
took top honors overall.