Re: 4 ring piston knowledge(NON LSR)

To: Askotto@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 ring piston knowledge(NON LSR)
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:36:21 +0000
The two compression ring grooves are the same width and depth(as are the
related coated top ring and cast second ring).
The oil ring grooves(both above and below the wristpin) are also the same
width and depth. The one-piece oil ring however is cast and roughly .015"
shallower then the two-piece oil ring(including the expander) and appears to
have a moly coated face simliar to the top compression ring, it is the exact
shape of the one-piece oil ring with the exception of having a half round
channel cut out on the inside for the expander.
These are Chinese rings for a Chinese replica of a Russian replica of a BMW
motorcycle(from the way I understand it), I am doing a valve job and fitting
the pistons and rings for one of my existing customers(as a favor to some
extent), of which the best instructions available for the rings(from the
manufacturer) say to "install them".
Do you know which oil ring goes above the wristpin and which one goes below
the wristpin?
Thanks in advance(if you weren't just wondering what I want to know),
Todd