Ratical lives and Ankle Biters cooling system.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ratical lives and Ankle Biters cooling system.
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:43:40 EDT
In a message dated 7/3/2006 5:48:48 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
ddahlgren@snet.net writes:

Without  a water pump you are asking for detonation from hot spots and
localized  over heating., steam pockets and a whole bunch of other nasty
things. If  you refuse to run a real water pump at least precharge the
cooling system  to 20 psi with air so you have some hope of getting down
the track for more  than a mile at a time. I can pee as hard as most of
the electric water  pumps and they do little to pressurize the  engine.
Dave

Hi Dave

Glad to hear you can still pee like a race horse! I think you got me  beat!!!
A pee-off at Bonneville??? LOL.

Actually I was referring to a water pump in the tank/radiator to circulate
water in the tank only. I have a similar setup to Sparky's except I only have a
 single pass aluminum racing radiator in the water tank. My tank holds  about
25 gallons of water. I run 50/50 anti-freeze in the engine/radiator  to
protect the aluminum and better cooling than water.

I am running a belt driven water pump on the engine. It is the  "standard
issue" Nascar setup which pulls water from the center of the side of  the block
instead of the front of it. It also pulls water from two  small water lines
coming from the side of the heads between the center exhaust  ports. The SB2.2
heads also have three holes drilled through the heads  between all the
cylinders
just above the gasket surface. This  circulates water to cool the thin area
to keep head gaskets intact by preventing  distortion at this hot spot. "Cool"
trick! The water pump is "pullied down"  to run about 1/4 engine RPM. Nascar
engines run 9800 rpm all day long with  this setup and don't cavitate.

I'm running a Mallory Super Mag III so I don't need an alternator but  I'm
now thinking it takes more HP to run a mag compared to electronic  ignition.
I'm
wasting HP. I don't carry a battery in the car for starting  but have a
remote battery "plug in" setup for cranking it over. I didn't want  the fire
hazard
of high amperage on board "just in case" of a mishap.

Gee Sparky, your rat is "only" cranking out 700HP? ( at Bonneville) My
little normally aspirated 358 incher dynoed at 775HP, (near sea level in
Charlotte). I figure I'll loose about 15% of my HP at Bonneville's density
altitude.
How sad! I need 18-1 pistons! LOL

Otto