Businesses of NHRA and NASCAR ....... part 2

To: Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com, speedtimer@charter.net
Subject: Businesses of NHRA and NASCAR ....... part 2
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:05:34 EDT
I believe this is a subject many of us 'greybeards' could rant-on about for
hours, but suffice it to say that the racing world has changed GREATLY  since
the 'big money boys' got involved in BOTH venues decades ago .....  I HIGHLY
recommend my longtime hero and idol Smokey Yunick's fantastic  book, "Best Damn
Garage in Town ~ My Life & Adventures" for  his  take on NASCAR, just one of
many racing topics he discusses at length in  this book !!!     Smokey was
known for "Telling It Like It  Is", and He DOES !!!
( The  ISBN on this 652 page Treasure is 0-9724378-3-5 )
     I will now back off here on this thread  of 'Whatever Has Happened to
the Racing We Once Knew ???' and go cool  off with a drink ..... one of MY
choice, NOT the one NHRA or NASCAR  tells me is "the official drink of ", etc,
etc.
etc.  Sorry if I  exceeded my two cents worth of rant here.  My parting
thought: If  you truly appreciate innovation, originality, and finely crafted
racing  cars, and want to design / build / race with your OWN ideas and
mechanical
skills, go to SCTA, USFRA or ECTA land speed racing  events.  If you wanna
see real wheel-to-wheel oval racing, visit your  local short tracks, especially
where they kick up the DIRT !     As to the drags, if you can hack the NHRA
tour shows with the cookie-cutter  cars, well, YOU go to them ......  I only go
to Nostalgia Drags  anymore as I can relate to the variety of the cars there :
a bit of a  time tunnel trip back to yesteryear !
     Bruce, around the oval tracks since '48,  and the drags since '55, and
an antique now myself, but knowing a  whole lot of guys with the very same
outlook on the Ever-Changing  Scene ......as they were there, too !
                        ~    Too Bad It Didn't Change For the Better !!!   ~
PS: Let's ALL be Very Thankful for the SCTA, USFRA & ECTA for  Land Speed
Racing !!!
                 LIVE YOUR PASSION  ~  FOR YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE