Re: Business of NHRA & NASCAR - Continued

To: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Business of NHRA & NASCAR - Continued
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 16:54:05 -0600
I think we have seen several situations rather recently where
individuals or groups have attempted to turn land speed racing into a
commercial advantage for themselves.  Rather fortunately it doesn't
seem to work out for them.  Whether it's the whole scene's rugged
individualism, the reluctance to have someone else speak for them, or
the flat out amateur nature of the whole land speed culture I can only
guess.  There's a reluctance to accept someone's words.  They have to
prove it on the salt, then people will listen, warm to them and accept
them.

I feel like Otto ran into this social "brick wall" in a way.  We saw it
with "Gator".  The culture of land speed people is rather small and the
language isn't one that's easy to buy into.  It's strictly peer
recognition and the society of peers is rather small and comparatively
selective.  Even in the land speed group, who remembers Richard Noble's
ultimate speed with Thrust 2?  It took Andy Green driving Thrusr SSC
and a rememberable speed of the speed of sound to get recognition from
outside the land speed community.  Frankly, other than that one number,
there's not a lot of people out there who care.

If you don't think I'm right, try to explain to someone who is
unfamiliar with the sport (but into other types of racing) what the
letters after the car number represent on a record setting car and see
if you get anything other than a blank stare.

Wes