RE Corporate Streamliners

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE Corporate Streamliners
From: "John Doherty" <zoomph@eircom.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 09:45:16 +0100
Hey guys,
        interestingly, I worked as Senior Engineer at JCB a few years back
when CAT bought out Perkins engines. As all the motive power was supplied by
Perkins, you can imagine the shock when CAT gave JCB a couple of years to get
out of town. I think that was the start of what we see now. JCB had serious
problems breaking into the US market and in the old days before CAT built
their own backhoe, it wasn't uncommon for a CAT dealer to sell JCB backhoes
alongside on the forecourt because it didn't compete. When CAT backhoes were
born, they got the boot and consequently selling became harder.In my opinion
it's definitely a grudge match. The late Mr JCB....Joseph Cyril Bamford, for
those who don't know, was reported to have a little black book with the names
of people who crossed him written therein. What better way for JCB to showcase
their engines than bring it to the country of their nemesis and 'stick two
fingers up.'  Hmmmm that's got me thinking, would CAT sponsor me to  power my
backyard special and beat the upstarts?

Dodging Leprechauns, John!