Explanation regarding Andy

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Explanation regarding Andy
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:38:47 -0400
Bryan & list

Re-reading my e mail I should have made it clear that the UK press (and
perhaps worldwide media) continue to refer to "the Richard Noble Thrust SSC
supersonic record", often omitting the name of the driver or adding him
(Andy that is) in almost as a footnote.  The same is true of the Walt
Arfon's Wingfoot Express record - even if it only stood for three days -
where the driver is seldom clearly named.  These two projects and there may
be other examples needed a Tom Green or an Andy Green.

The success of the Thrust SSC programme did depend on the skills of many
people (Ron Ayres, Glynn Bowsher, Jeremy Bliss, ....) but at the end of the
day the man at the controls made it an official record - he was never going
to be there as a passenger.  To the 'man in the street' who may not know or
care, the programme and its success has been developed on Richard's name
not Andy's.  That was all I was trying to convey.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.