Re: Fw: Oil stuff/dumb questios

To: "Adin, David" <DavidAdin@mercydurango.org>
Subject: Re: Fw: Oil stuff/dumb questios
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:43:00 -0700
David --
I've been in the 5th mile twice under near perfect driving conditions
(thanks, Doug) and had the bandwidth to check the tach and both gauges.  But
how often can anyone expect to have it that way?  Besides, oil pressure
bounces around.  Do you have any good knowledge to correlate the amount of
drop in pressure with a danger point?  Me neither.....  You'll never kiss
the record if you lift every time the oil gauge wiggles....
I'm pretty certain that when disaster strikes it will come at you too fast
for a useful driver reaction.  In the fraction of a second that it takes you
to react the engine will turn a similar fraction of 100 revolutions.
The bottom line here is really to cover as many possible failure points with
good design, construction and operational practice so the driver has a
minimum of variables to be concerned with.  So I'd say if CW says "dry sump"
then get ready to groan over the cost of the hardware.
Ed Weldon