Re: Fw: Oil stuff/dumb questios

To: "" <DavidAdin@mercydurango.org>
Subject: Re: Fw: Oil stuff/dumb questios
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:11:06 -0700
David,  Long story, will try and make it short. Wet sump motor, 1/2 mile
fast oval track, turning 8k, oil pressure light comes on. Look at the
gauge-zero. Dump the clutch and blip the throttle- still zero. Cut the
engine. Pull the motor out and and the bottom end looks just fine. Take
the whole engine apart and no problem anywhere. OK now I'm stumped. Now
I take the oil pump apart very carefully and find a small sliver of
metal is stuck in the pressure relief valve. The metal is from the edge
of a cam bearing that peeled off when the bearing was installed. Now the
moral of this story is, if I had not had the light on the oil pressure.
I would have ruined the motor and never knew what started the problem.
You set your gauges so when everything is right all the gauges point the
same way, say straight up. So just a glance and you will see if
something is not in line. The gauges are for information, the lights are
for warning.    Doug Odom in big ditch