Re: Speed Week Entry

To: drmayf@mayfco.com, saltfever@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Speed Week Entry
From: RickByrnes@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:51:08 +0000
To answer queries as to what went amiss, I'm still not completely sure.
Running methanol (100%), oil contaminated combustion chambers, fouled #4
completely and pre-ignited 1 and 2.  At 9500 rpm pieces of the top ring came
out the exhaust (#2).  (A small amount of oil will dramatically lower the
octane rating of Methanol and cause preignition.)    The only good news is that
none of the crap made it thru to the bottom end, and that it made 281 HP at the
wheels on 3 cylinders with no power produced by cyl #4 and copious amounts of
oil and fuel going thru that cylinder.  (yes I put the oil rings on)  :=d
The valve stem seals and guides are in fact ok.  Head gasket is ok.  (Doc, it
is a cometic) (more on that deal later).  (you hear that Warner?)
I have not pulled the slugs, but leakdown shows that 3 and 4 are at 4% cold.
(gas ported top ring). 1 and 2 are over 60%
I think the only answer now may be that my great engine builder (little old me)
screwed up with the ring package.  Otherwise I still wont have a root cause and
no guarentee that it just won't happen again.  I have a second set of pistons
that are not quite as good a set up as the ones I lost, but after a round trip
to HPC for coating the top and skirts, they should do nicely.
I sure am going to miss being at Speed Week, and I wish you all well and hope
the meet is a success for all.
OH, pistons should be out tomorrow.  I'm still running an experiment on the top
end.
Trying to force the valve stem lip seals to leak......

Rick

From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>