World of Speed report

To: list LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World of Speed report
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:10:51 -0600
After two days of racing on the best salt I've seen in many years,
Mother Nature managed to screw things over.  With the weather forecasts
talking about winter storm patterns and the temperature dropping like a
rock I'm worried about any more running on the salt this year.  What
water is there ... 1" in the pits and 3" getting over to the pits is
not going to go away very fast.

We had a lot of people make runs on each course.  On the one mile short
course we run the vintage motorcycle guys were having a ball, the
130Club entries were turning great times and even the kids with karts
were going fast.  Costella was able to get into record impound late
yesterday on the long course but the return runs that were put through
in case of bad weather happened about  the time he was getting to
impound.

Everyone had a great time.  A couple of neighbors just came over as I
was unloading the rental and were telling their experiences out there.
They had spent time with racers yesterday when we had an hour wind
delay and their comment was that the racers were happy about the lines
moving as well as they had and the guys they were talking to were
hoping to get in their third run of the day before we shut down line
access at 5:00. Tom Bryant's crew told me they had made six runs with
their car, as many as they made in all of Speedweek.  Mary West was
going for her A license but they had some problems at the top end and
Tom was hoping to work them out before they left the salt.  Didn't
happen, a shame because now they will have to sort things out the next
time on the salt..

Jon and Nancy Wennerberg are on their way to Maxton.  Look out ECTA!

The weather disappointed folks but even with that everyone was upbeat
about the great conditions we had.

Wester Potter
Media Relations
Utah Salt Flats Racing Association