Latest Fad: Stealing Tailgates from Trucks ... NON LSR; just a

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Latest Fad: Stealing Tailgates from Trucks ... NON LSR; just a
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:36:37 EDT
I'm posting this as so many on this list have trucks for towing &  hauling
parts  ~  BDF
                      *  In Today's News : Tailgate Theft On the Rise  *
Theft of third-row seats and tailgates from American-made trucks and  sport
utility vehicles is on the rise, the Los Angeles Daily News  reported.  Police
have been encouraging truck and SUV owners to mark  tailgates and seats to
prevent thefts. Older-model trucks are said to  be particularly vulnerable
because the tailgates do not come with  locks.  While pickpocketing and bicycle
thefts have decreased, vehicle  burglaries are on the rise -- increasing by 10
percent in 2004, the FBI  reported.   Police said tailgates can cost as much as
replace.  The trickle effect of these thefts is  higher insurance premiums,
the Daily News said.
   My thoughts here  ~ Losing just a tailgate is small  change compared to
the loss of a friend of mine in Northern  California several years ago .....
his
entire enclosed trailer for his fuel  dragster, complete with air compressor,
generator, and almost all the necessary  tools & equipment that went with it
to every meet, was stolen right off of a  busy street at night. Only the
dragster was spared, as it was in his  shop. The trailer 'shell', totally
stripped,
was eventually found ..... not  so the perpetrators !  Over the decades I
have known a number of both drag  and oval track guys that had their trailers(
sometimes with the car and all  tools/equipment )disappear, often at motel
parking lots ...... sad to say, most  of them seldom ever had much of anything
recovered .  I think I  speak for everyone on this list when I say that I've
always hated anybody who  would stoop so low as to steal another person's tools
....... Stealing the car,  trailer, and support gear is an ultimate extension
of
this despicable  crime.
       Needless to Say :  Be extremely  vigilant & lock up very, very well !
 Bruce, still irked  about a brand new set of Linde gas welding tips stolen
from my shop back in  1964   ~