Wireless timing (part 1)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wireless timing (part 1)
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:10:09 -0700
In light of Jon's comments and others, I am proposing a laser based system
that eliminates wires. The idea is that a laser shoots a beam across the
course to turning-optics that send the SAME beam to a photo detector (PD)
one mile away.  When the car breaks the beam, that pulse hits the PD a mile
away and starts the requisite clocks. The "time of flight" for light to go 1
mile is approximately 0.0000053 second. That is FASTER (maybe 10%-15%) than
the electrons in a 1 mile long wire. Curvature-of-the-earth is a non-issue
because we are only dealing with 1 mile segments. The system is duplicated
at each mile. The penta prisms shown below can cost as little as $59-$300. I
mention this because it "might" be possible to assemble a reasonable
(affordable) system.

CW diode laser: Provides the beam that the car breaks. That "breaking-pulse"
is transmitted (at the speed of light) to the photo detector at the next
mile station.

http://lasercomponents.com/us/792.html?
<http://lasercomponents.com/us/792.html?&tx_bgmprodbfrontendlc_pi1%5brid%5d=
2128&cHash=c051ebbd96&MP=715-446>
&tx_bgmprodbfrontendlc_pi1[rid]=2128&cHash=c051ebbd96&MP=715-446

Here is another Laser.  At 5 watts it is higher power.

http://www.laserdiode.com/products.cfm?product=14

Amplified photo detectors are used as clock triggers (500 picoseconds rise
and fall times).

http://www.psplc.com/product.asp?ProdID=detAmplified

Right Angle Bending Prisms. (beam turning mirrors) used to transmit the beam
pulse.

http://www.lambda.cc/PAGE124.htm

Penta Prisms (used for beam steering and to compensate for minor
misalignment)

http://www.lambda.cc/PAGE130.htm

See my DISCLAIMER in next post.

  -Elon