Wireless timing (part 2)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wireless timing (part 2)
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:12:58 -0700
DISCLAIMER:

First of all I am not a qualified EE or optical engineer. There was modest
negative feed-back on Jon's idea so I only made this proposal to show you
that parts to a laser based timing system are already available. This is not
fiction.they are production items. A lot of parts are not high cost.  A good
optics guy and EE can make a workable system. I only made the proposal in
the hopes that it might pique someone(s) interest to look into it further.
Can't you imagine the benefit from eliminating all that wire? The system
could be integrated into the already existing system. It is only a
triggering mechanism that eliminates 5 miles of wire. It removes the effect
that EMP, EMF (or whatever you want to call atmospheric static, sun spots,
etc) have on that 5 mile long antenna.  The existing, computers, software,
etc. are still used.  I have a very simple sketch of what is presented above
if you want it emailed.

I can see numerous issues that need to be worked out but they are not
insurmountable.

1. Rise and fall time in the photo detector adds more delay but it is in
picoseconds.

2. The wave length should be tuned to the best efficiency of the detector or
visa versa.

3. Do diode lasers have enough power to dependability trigger a PD a mile
away? What is the cost of a laser with enough power to transmit 1 mile?
Photo detector sensitivity could be a trade-off.

4. Can higher powered lasers meet OSHA eye-safe requirements?

5. Thermal compensation issues.

6. Optics survivability in a salt environment.

As with any proposal, from an unknowledgeable source, things always appear
easier or lower cost than reality. Really sharp people can better judge the
feasibility of my idea. Please send flames privately.

  -Elon